The language you use in a message will depend on the tool being used and who the intended reader is:
This word is made up from the words ‘net’ and ‘etiquette’ and is used to describe the rules for good behaviour when communicating on the Internet:
- be polite and show respect towards others – good citizenship is always important online;
- use Standard English and correct spellings – it is often a good idea to proof-read your message before you send them to check that they makes sense;
- don’t type in capital letters – this means that you are shouting something;
- don’t post off-topic messages – these can disrupt the flow of a conversation when using a discussion forum, for example;
- avoid messages that just say “me to” – only support another message when you also have something new to contribute to the discussion.